Monday, September 3, 2018

Get to Know…Miss Sauerbrei!



Get to Know…Miss Sauerbrei!
Over the next few days, I’d like to introduce you to the new members of the teaching staff at Gladbrook-Reinbeck. Each of the new G-R teachers has taken time to answer a few questions to help us get to know them better -- and I’ll be sharing this information in a series of blog posts in the coming days.  We’ll start with our new Secondary Spanish Teacher, Miss Mackensie Saurbrei. Please join us in welcoming her to the G-R Rebel Family.
A native of Marengo, Miss Saurbrei graduated from Iowa Valley High School before going to college at Wartburg, where she majored in Secondary Education and Spanish.  She taught high school Spanish at Tipton and coached middle school volleyball for one year before joining the G-R staff. She has also coached high school volleyball at Waverly Shell-Rock. Here are a few fun facts about Miss Saurbrei:
Initial impressions of G-R:   I am excited to be a part of such a welcoming school district and community
Hobbies:  Running, traveling, reading & playing volleyball
Favorite Author:  Jodi Picoult
Last book you readHarry Potter y el prisionero de Azkaban by J. K. Rowling
All-time favorite books:  The Harry Potter book series because I wish I could attend Hogwarts and do magic!
Favorite athletic team:  Golden State Warriors
Favorite Superhero:  Spiderman
Favorite subject when you were a studentArt
Favorite activity while in high school:  Volleyball
A funny story from your school days:  I stared in my high school's lip dub and lip-synced a song that I still don't know the words to. Unfortunately, it can be found on YouTube.
Your favorite teacher:  Mrs. Megchelson (my HS Spanish teacher). I didn't appreciate her at the time or like Spanish in high school but I realized when I got to college and took Spanish how much she taught me and how great of an opportunity she gave me by taking us to Mexico.
Why did you become a teacher?  I want to show students the importance and value that learning a second language can have, whether it is Spanish or another language. I also want to have students experience Spanish in a fun, authentic way that encourages them to study abroad or travel to other places in the world; I am most hopeful to give students that opportunity through a trip abroad.
What did I forget to ask?  What is the favorite place I have ever traveled to? Sevilla, Spain (where I studied abroad). 
We’re pleased to have Miss Saurbrei join the faculty and the G-R family! Welcome to Gladbrook-Reinbeck!  

No comments:

Post a Comment